Nader's Blog

Thursday, October 27, 2005

Teletype

When I was finishing high school in the early 1970s, the closest normal people got to computers was using a teletype. These electromechanical monsters could convert bits received at glacially slow (110 baud) telephone rates into a veritable cacophany of sound. This acoustic din was produced by lots of metal parts slamming into a paper roll somewhere inside the machine. The paper was the same consistency and smoothness as the paper towels you find in restrooms, and the bit rate was caused partly by the constraints of the acoustic couplers used in those days. I probably still have
the pieces of the 300-baud modem I built out of two op-amps and two tennis shoes.
Computer Magazine, January 2005 (Vol. 38, No. 1)

Music Mood:
Noura Rahal - 3ala Fekra

5 Comments:

i like this song btw :)

By Blogger M!R@CHK@, at 5:01 PM  

Nice one!!! My godmother loved it!
Can u believe she has been listen with me yesterday?

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:01 PM  

Ya, it is a very nice song.
Happy to hear that Susa :)

By Blogger My love story, at 11:55 PM  

this is my first time visiting, I enjoyed reading your blog.

By Blogger Sabri Hakim, at 10:23 AM  

Thank you sabri, I enjoy your blog too since a while :)

By Blogger My love story, at 9:18 PM  

Post a Comment