Nader's Blog

Saturday, January 22, 2005

Free Culture

Simply the best presentation I had ever seen till the day :)
http://randomfoo.net/oscon/2002/lessig/free.html

Here are some terms that I gathered from here and there and really ring the bell these days.

Every act's a copy

Open source
Copyrights
Proprietary
Software Patents
Regulated Creativity
Controlled Creativity
Opaque Creativity
Controlling Uses
Fair use
GNU
Free Sharing
P2P

"No One can do to disney, Inc.
what Walt Disney did to the brothers Grimm"

why software patents will harm new innovators and benefit old innovators (that’s America), written in 1991 by Mr. Gates:

“If people had understood how patents would be granted when most of today’s ideas were invented and had taken out patents, the industry would be at a complete stand-still today. The solution . . . is patent exchanges . . . and patenting as much as we can. . . . A future start-up with no patents of its own will be forced to pay whatever price the giants choose to impose. That price might be high: Established companies have an interest in excluding future competitors.” Fred Warshofsky, The Patent Wars 170-71 (NY: Wiley 1994).

Some links for you to start doing something:

http://lessig.org/
http://eff.org/
http://www.publicknowledge.org/
http://creativecommons.org/
http://eldred.cc/

We want a Free Culture
We want to be Creative again

7 Comments:

I hear you Nader, but we can never have this with big corporate giants owning everything and creating and selling the same things. its just so sick. this may sound way off, but have you noticed some of those arabic music videos lately? they all look the same. especially the women. every act is certainly a copy. Where is the creativity?

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:47 AM  

oh yeah that was by me :)

-Linda

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:06 PM  

It's more than that Linda.
I'm really more interested in the software patents subject but i know what you're saying about the clips.
For example,I hate to enjoy an arabic song then find out later it is a stolen turkish melody :(

By Blogger My love story, at 10:04 PM  

well being a designer it has everything 2 do with creativity in my opinion. if i dont create smthn new then y am i a designer then???? would it surprise u that my interior design doctors at uni dont agree with me !!!! they dont believe in creativity and they want us 2 copy and add and 2 tell them from where u got the idea. they teach us not 2 be creative and if u creat they just say prove that this works and they dont help u nor encourage u 2 do so . that cozd a big problem i even concidered changing my major then after deep thinking i decided 2 believe wat i think and dont lsn 2 my teachers. i may be wrong but its just my opinion.
M!R@CHK@

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:34 PM  

See, i think your professors are coming from the notion that nothing is original. everything is a copy of something else because everything has an influence on everything. But there are also the thinkers who come from the notion that you can never step into the same ocean twice. even if you copy something on purpose, it is still different. it is still original because it is never the same.
-LINDA

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:11 PM  

I never thought of it that way Linda, Niiiice :)
And believe me I know what you're saying M!R@CHK@, I always get the famous "This-can't-be-your-work" compliment for my research papers,lol :)

By Blogger My love story, at 1:55 AM  

U know wat the problem is,as a student i am still learning 2 be creative and 2 think the unthinkable 2 be a good designer. so i wanna be 100% creative even if i cant and i was 70 % creative is good. but if i think like my prof thinks and wanna be 50% creative then i will be 30% creative which is bad. Got my point???!!!I mean i dont wanna be a normal deisgner i wanna be smthn i dont wanna be only a name that lived once and died even if i wasnt capable of doin that at least i have a goal and i wanna work hard 2 do it.
M!R@CHK@

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:04 AM  

Post a Comment